Christmas Eve has always been my favorite day of the year. I love the decorations, the weather (yes, I love winter), the general feeling of good will and all of the cheerful wishes for everyone to "Have a Merry Christmas". I love the feeling of anticipation of family gatherings about to start, of looking forward to giving those gifts and seeing how they make others happy.
Also, being a mom, I appreciate how Christmas Eve is also usually much more neat and tidy. 😄 No one wants to mess it up just yet- it just provides a beautiful setting to pause and appreciate everything Christmas really means.
Nate was born Christmas Eve. Many people bemoan Christmas birthdays, but Nate doesn't seem to mind (after all, he's the one who chose it- he was supposed to be induced on the 27th). I like it- he's the best Christmas gift ever.
We weren't sure Nate would survive birth. Today, he turned 10. What a blessing! These last ten years have been a tremendous challenge but also have been cram-packed with tender mercies and flat-out miracles. My understanding of how God loves his children has expanded and matured. I can now truly say that I trust God. After all we've gone through together, how could I not? Whether Nate lives only 10 years or outlives me, I trust God's plan for Nate and our family. Nathaniel's name means "a gift from God", and it fits Nate well.
True, we are once again spending Christmas in the hospital, but Nate is doing well and should be discharged in a couple days. I truly don't mind. We've gotten used to being flexible with how and when we celebrate holidays. Here in the hospital, I get to see and experience the generosity of many people in the community as they serve the patients and their families with donated meals, toys, treats, etc. I've tried to contribute ("Light the World") by giving a little support and cheer to other parents as we cross paths in the Ronald McDonald family room, hallways, waiting rooms, cafeteria, and chapel. I hope they see that if a mom with a 10 year old "frequent flyer" in the hospital once again can be cheerful and hopeful, that they too will survive their current crisis and come out more confident and hopeful as they face their own child's medical journey.
Yesterday I met another mom who has been in and out of the hospital for the last three months with her seven-year-old. She and I were chatting with some new parents who were very shell-shocked. This "veteran mom" was so confident and upbeat- all I had to do was toss in some supporting words as she coached these new parents on all of the amazing supports available at this hospital. She was visibly tired but confident, and I could tell it felt good for her to be able to serve someone else with her hard-won knowledge. There are so many good people in this world.
I guess that by spending Christmas in a quiet hospital room, stripped bare of the locations and people who are beloved parts of the holiday, I've been able to focus more on what the essence of Christmas can always be: Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward Men. And I am grateful.
Thanks for all of the prayers and support during the last couple weeks (and months). We feel the power of those prayers and are grateful for you!
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas Michelle (and Nate and family) :) Love you guys. Nate shares my Dad's birthday! It's a good day.
ReplyDeleteHugs and prayers for your precious birthday boy <3
ReplyDeleteI have loved getting caught up on your blog. I don't know why I haven't been checking it. I love that Nate is your Christmas Eve baby. He really is a miracle and gift from God. Happy (very late) Christmas and Happy (very late) Birthday Nate. :) We love you!
ReplyDelete