So, Hannah is in a really challenging math class (pretty much pre-algebra) and feeling frustrated. Today's homework problem was based on basketball and used ratios between 3 point baskets and attempts. They assumed that any kid could easily differentiate between the score and baskets, and calculate one from the other (I checked, she hasn't learned the way to solve 27=3x yet). After finding that, she had to figure out how many attempts using a 3:5 ratio. She was in full meltdown mode, so what do I do? I put it in terms she could understand.
"If you made five 3 legged tables in woodshop and then threw them onto a basketball court, but only three of the tables transformed into llamas worth 3 points each, what would be the score? Assuming that the number of injuries from llama kicks and tripping over un-transformed tables didn't stop the game, how many baskets were attempted by the time the score reached 27?"
Now, it made much more sense!
Can you tell we don't follow sports in our family?
No comments:
Post a Comment